Monday, August 22, 2011

Parade Magazine Dinner

Last night's dinner was inspired by Parade Magazine whose dimensions shrunk recently and which has nothing to do with anything. I was inspired by the veggie stir fry recipe provided by Sara Gilbert. I made some changes because I didn't have broccoli-- which is a rarity-- and I added garbanzo beans (which Sara's kids probably wouldn't like and for whom her recipe was intended), and I substituted whole wheat penne for the rice. So on top of the penne were red and yellow bell peppers, zucchini, asparagus, onions, garlic, and garbanzos; all were sauteed in extra virgin olive oil. I also had a salad of red leaf lettuce, arugula, and carrots. A very simple meal which is one of the several reasons Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking wouldn't work for me.

Yes, Julia Child and her re-famous cookbook are old, old news, news full of backlash and complaints from our three-second-attention-span society. That cookbook was on my mother's shelf in the kitchen while I was growing up (and it's still there), and my mother did cook from it. Of course, my mother spent hours cooking everyday, something I've never done and most likely never will. Besides, for me to use Julia Child's recipes I would have to veganize her meals, and I simply don't feel like doing that. And I'm not disciplined enough to go through any cookbook front to back making each recipe--that and I get bored very quickly. I would simply get tired of using the same cookbook day after day after day. Anyway, I'm amazed I remembered what I made for dinner last night. Usually I cook, eat, and forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment