Sunday, April 1, 2012

Fiction Writing 101: Even A Kid Can Do It?

So today's New York Times has a front page article about parents getting their children's fiction published, well, self-published: Young Writers Dazzle Publisher (Mom and Dad). I'm not going to debate this because Tom Robbins articulates so nicely how I feel.

"'What's next? asked the novelist Tom Robbins. 'Kiddie architecture, juvenile dentists, 11-year old rocket scientists? Any parent who thinks that the crafting of engrossing, meaningful fiction requires less talent and experience than designing a house, extracting a wisdom tooth, or supervising a lunar probe is, frankly, delusional. There are no prodigies in literature... literature requires experience, in a way that mathematics and music do not.'"

Thank you, Tom Robbins, thank you.

By the way, most adults can't craft engrossing and meaningful fiction.

3 comments:

  1. I'm 12, and I'm mad at what you said. Everybody knows that kids are smarter than grownups and have a better imagination too. My new book is about the olden days of slavery and Lincoln, and because it was so long ago, eveold people would have to make it up cause they were-'t around for it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I made you mad, but what an amazing book you're writing. Perhaps it'll be made into a movie. Perhaps the dialogue will be better than the Lincoln movie that's out now.

      Delete
  2. I don't appreciate your challenging my son's self-esteem. It takes incredible concentration for a 12-year-old to stringtogether enough sentences tomake a story of any length, never mind the quality, which is all subjective, anyway. Take your negativity elsewhere! Concerned and Proud Dad

    ReplyDelete